Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inspirations from a Leader from the West

This morning when I came to work, Johari shared with us that he watched Obama's Presidential Inauguration speech last night and was amazed by the turn out despite the freezing conditions. That piqued my interest, and for the first time in my life, I decided to view that speech and where else better to get one than from YouTube.



Obama is a very good speaker and I could possibly come up with a list why but that is not the point of this entry. He has said many things to inspire his people but some of the points he made are as equally relevant to us, all the way on the other side of the globe, especially to a school about to be set up in 2010.

One of Obama's main points is about remaking America. We have the same vision, to remake the learning experiences of our students. Obama talked about America leading the other nations. We also look to lead other schools in terms of use of technology in teaching and learning. Most importantly, Obama talked about keeping the legacy of what their forefathers have achieved. We are creating our legacy.

As Obama also said, we face new challenges and have new instruments to overcome them but fundamentally, the values remain the same and everything should be rooted on them. This is something I believe in too and so when I look at innovating the EL curriculum, I must bear that in mind.

Two quotes that I like (not from Obama's speech):
1. Today's skills need to become tomorrow's habits.
2. It's time to ensure that the way students learn with technology agrees with the way they live with technology.

This is a challenge and I am going all the way out to meet it.

No comments:

Post a Comment